Thiago Silva is out on $25,000 bail, according to a report from CBS Miami.
A judge granted the former UFC fighter bail, telling him he needs to stay away from drugs, alcohol, wear an ankle monitoring bracelet, attend anger management classes and be at his home by 10 p.m.
Silva was involved in a police standoff last month after threatening his estranged wife and Pablo Popovitch at Popvitch’s Brazilian jiu-jitsu center. Silva proceeded to barricade himself in his home before surrendering without incident to the police.
The initial judge, John Hurley, denied Silva bail after his first hearing. Geoffrey Cohen, another Broward County judge, granted Silva his release. Cohen disagreed with prosecutors, saying he didn’t feel Silva was a flight risk to return to Brazil.
Silva’s manager, Glenn Robinson, told the site “The judge made the right decision.” Robinson also said he is working to get his client a new fight outside of the UFC.
Sometimes the veil of ignorance that separates us knowledgeable fight fans from the general public is a comical one. Take for instance this little gem from Massachusetts, which is a warning by the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association:
In an effort to ensure the safety of our students, we wanted to pass along some critical information regarding a person trying to contact local athletes on Facebook. The person goes by “Manny Whelan” on Facebook, and he is offering local student-athletes money to “compete” in an “underground wrestling club” that is held in local hotels. It has come to our attention that this person has been contacting local male student-athletes for at least two years. This may not be exclusive to wrestling, so please inform ALL of your coaches, parents, and students.
Chael Sonnen understands that there are those in MMA who have used and abused TRT.
For Sonnen, the decision by the Nevada Athletic Commission – and the UFC – to ban the use of TRT hits close to home.
He has used the testosterone replacement therapy in the past, and told Yahoo! Sports that it helps him more than just as an athlete.
“My life is better,” Sonnen said. “My attitude is better. I have more energy. I need less sleep. It makes me feel better in many different regards. It makes me a better husband and a better neighbor and a better pet owner.
“I understand the abuse, but this is a medicine that helps people with a problem.”
Sonnen came right out when news of the ban was made public, saying that was that. He reiterated those remarks in the interview, stating, “they made no bones about it. It’s out.
“We all have to deal with that, whether we like it or not.”
Normally always chipper and upbeat, Sonnen is sure his life will change once again without the use of TRT going forward.
“The best way to describe it is that it is a completely terrible, horrible feeling,” he said. “This is a medicine and it’s medicine I need to live normally on a day-to-day basis. People say it is a performance enhancer, and there are a lot of things guys can take to enhance performance, but testosterone is more than a performance enhancer for me.
“It is a life-enhancer.”
One would have to wonder if Sonnen will try to find another supplement – that is legal – to take in order to remain active and healthy with his life, or if taking away TRT could speed up his retirement.
Alexander Gustafsson was involved in what many considered to be the “Fight of the Year” in 2013, going the distance with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and almost claiming the belt from “Bones.”
Now, as he prepares to gain a rematch with Jones, Gustafsson will tangle with Jimi Manuwa this Saturday at UFC Fight Night: London.
While his bout with Jones was on pay-per-view, “The Mauler” was discouraged a little when he found out the Manuwa contest will only be streamed on UFC Fight Pass around the world.
“That sucks a little,” he said, while on The MMA Hour. “I didn’t know about that until just a few weeks ago, but a fight is a fight.”
While many believe Gustafsson will roll past Manuwa, he isn’t taking his challenger lightly.
“Jimi Manuwa is a very dangerous fighter,” he said. “He’s a dangerous fighter that has been sneaking around in the shadows. Nobody knows about him, but he’s very dangerous.
“With this ranking system, he’s a lot better than the guys that are higher ranked.”
The athletes at Jackson’s MMA in New Mexico know when to work hard.
They also know when to have fun evidently.
During a recent training session, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and former interim UFC welterweight champion Carlos Condit engaged in a little dance-off. While the moves the two showcase are intriguing, the end of the video is the highlight.
Check it out: