Vitor Belfort might not be quiet anymore.
After being called out by Luke Rockhold for staying silent after the banning of TRT, Belfort fired back against the former Strikeforce champion.
Last year, Belfort delivered a knockout kick to Rockhold in Brazil. Rockhold expressed his desire to have a rematch with “The Phenom,” while also calling the kick lucky and referencing Belfort for living a “shady life.”
Well, Belfort didn’t take too kindly to that, writing on Instagram, “This is just a reminder. To all the (haters) out there, that always looking for excuses the more they talk the better me and my team the Blackzilians will get.”
Belfort was removed from a planned UFC middleweight title fight with Chris Weidman after the Nevada Athletic Commission banned the use of TRT. The UFC followed the decision, and placed Lyoto Machida in the title fight. Belfort is believed to be working towards getting his fight license and off TRT.
Luke Rockhold feels that Vitor Belfort pulled one over on not only him, but the entire MMA community.
In fact, Rockhold wants nothing more than to face Belfort again.
Back in 2013, Belfort scored a knockout victory over Rockhold in Brazil. He was on TRT at the time, as it was legal for him to use. Since the turn of the calendar to 2014, though, the drug has been banned by the UFC.
“There’s some fishy things going on. The highs and lows of Vitor Belfort,” said Rockhold, during a recent interview with FOX Sports. “I would not want to be that guy. Be on top of the world getting all these ‘Knockouts of the Night’ and all these awards of the year and then all of a sudden get shunned into the shadows.
“He leads a shady life and it seems like karam might be coming back.”
Belfort was positioned to challenge Chris Weidman for the UFC middleweight title, but he was taken out and replaced by Lyoto Machida. Since that time, he has maintained a quiet life, only posting to social media sites a handful of times and not doing many interviews.
“Who knows what’s going on with Belfort,” he said. “He seems to be completely silent about it. Who knows what happened with that last drug test of his or when he’s going to be fight. I hope he comes back soon because I definitely would be seeking that fight sooner than later.”
In fact, the former Strikeforce champion would like nothing more than to get his rematch in Brazil.
“I’ll go back down to Brazil and fight Vitor on steroids,” he said. “He’s not going to land that kick again. I will overcome Vitor Belfort. No matter what, steroids or not.”
Rockhold will have to settle for Tim Boetsch this Saturday at UFC 172 in the meantime.
Maybe Chael Sonnen is right. Maybe the Brazilian MMA fans are starting to back him instead of rival – and Brazil native – Wanderlei Silva.
After the “brawl” between Sonnen and Silva aired on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 earlier this month, many on social media forums stated they felt “The Axe Murderer” instigated the encounter and saw Sonnen as coming off as more of the “good guy.”
Well, Silva has taken to Instagram to remind Brazil of some of the things Sonnen has said about the country in the past. When he was working towards a rematch with Anderson Silva, Sonnen laid out these remarks.
“If they sell 100,000 tickets I hope they put them in a nice ball, turn them sideways and shove them straight up their (expletive). That’s what they can do with the Brazilian crowd.”
Those remarks came in a 2011 interview by Sonnen.
Sonnen went ahead and retweeted the message by Silva, writing, “(Silva) would like to get this tweet out. He has no followers, so let’s help him.”
These two are scheduled to meet in July in Las Vegas.
Chuck Liddell has never backed down from a challenge.
And he’s also never really tried to put on a show before stepping inside the Octagon – unless it involved long-time rival Tito Ortiz.
So, it’s of no surprise that “The Iceman” is not a fan of Chael Sonnen’s pre-fight antics. And while he has “hung out” and referred to Sonnen as a “nice guy,” he doesn’t get the pro-wrestling characteristics Sonnen puts on.
“I understand what he’s doing. He wasn’t the most exciting fighter, so he made himself exciting by promoting the fight really well and he got himself a couple of title shots for it,” said Liddell, in an interview with MMAjunkie.com. “It works, but that whole crazy WWE-type stuff. That over-the-top stuff when you’re fighting a guy, doesn’t make sense to me and I don’t like it.”
Sonnen worked his way into a championship match at light heavyweight vs. Jon Jones despite not competing at 205 pounds for several years. He also scored a rematch with then-UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva two years after taking him into the fifth round.
Liddell stepped away from fighting in 2010 and has a job as an executive with the UFC now. Sonnen continues to compete, but is also working for FOX Sports as a host and analyst. While he respects him, Liddell feels Sonnen has stepped “over the line” in interviews.
“Unless you’re known as an actor or being a WWE guy, you can get away with some of that stuff because everybody knows it’s fake,” Liddell said. “Some of the things he said, as far as I’m concerned, are over the line.”
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has a very big fight this Saturday at UFC 172 when he will defend his title against Glover Teixeira.
However, while doing some media rounds in New York City recently, Jones was stopped by TMZ, a celebrity gossip site, and asked some non-MMA questions.
Jones mentioned former NFL star Ray Lewis as someone who could potentially “scrap” if they decided to step into the Octagon. Lewis was a teammate of Jones’ brother, Arthur, and helped lead the Baltimore Ravens to two Super Bowl titles.
“I don’t know, but he is a former wrestler,” Jones said. “And his attitude on the football field. He could put it down.”
In more important and “manly” news, Jones was asked who has the greatest butt in Hollywood.
“Beyonce, she runs the world,” he said. “That’s the one.”
But Beyonce wouldn’t be “the one” if Jones was able to hook up with any other woman besides his fiance.
“My fiance already knows: Alicia Keys is the one,” Jones admitted. “She always has been.”
Jones stated he is walking around at 220 pounds just days ahead of his fight, and knows it will be “a great challenge for me. But I don’t get nervous anymore. I’ve been rolling with the big dogs and fighting in the fast lane.”
Hear the entire interview with Jones in the video below, and listen for a little slip-up from the champ when he promotes Saturday’s card: