Lots of news from the land of skulls and upside down fleur-de-lys. Let’s break this shit down:
- Aleks Emelianenko vs Paul Buentello has been officially announced, and at this point I’d just like to remind everyone that Paul Buentello is NOT Ricco Rodriguez, which seems to be a common perception from a lot of people. So that means he’s not going to be beaten because he’s washed up … he’s going to be beaten because he’s simply outclassed.
- One hour of prelims will be featured live on Fox Sports Net, which is great for the average fan, who’s more likely to get that channel with their basic package than HDNet.
- Andrei Arlovski is still the worst kept secret on the card. Rumors have been floating forever on this, and at this point I’m sure the lawyers are just dotting their i’s and crossing their T’s in preparation for the inevitable bullshit lawsuit that Zuffa will probably unleash upon the announcement.
- Some dude who’s from the Honda Center claims that $250k worth of tickets were sold in 30 minutes, which normally I’d call bullshit on but … well, I can see the Affliction guys overhyping, but some dude from the Honda Center?
- Last but not least the CSAC has confirmed that Affliction has already posted a 3.5 million dollar bond to cover fighter’s purses. While many people are saying “Hah, guess that means the paydays aren’t that extreme”, please don’t forget that magic under the table money has become the standard in the MMA industry and what you see on the athletic commission payroll isn’t always what’s really being paid.
All in all, things are chugging along nicely for Affliction, which means no spectacular meltdown like there was for last Summer’s K1 Dynamite USA card. Which makes the drama llama in me sad, but the non-jaded fan in me happy.