Bear saves man from Puma

Home Forums Everything else Bear saves man from Puma

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  hayes 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

A Paradise man says he is lucky to be alive after an attack by a mountain lion Monday morning.

Robert Biggs, 69, often hikes in the Bean Soup Flat area, which is about a mile and a half above Whisky Flats. He came across a mother bear, a yearling and a newborn, which were about 40 feet from where he was standing.

After watching the bear family for a few minutes he decided to leave them be and turned to walk back up the trail. As he turned, a mountain lion pounced on him grabbing hold of his backpack with all four paws.

“They usually grab hold of your head with all four paws, but my backpack was up above my head and (the mountain lion) grabbed it instead,” Biggs said. “It must have been stalking the little bear, but it was on me in seconds.”

He wrestled with the cat, striking it in the head with a rock pick. The cat screamed when it was hit with the pick, but didn’t let go, Biggs said. Before he knew it, the mother bear came from behind and pounced on the cat, tearing its grip from the backpack.

The bear and the cat battled for about 15 seconds, Biggs said, until the cat finally ran away. The bear went on its way as well. Biggs ended up with bite marks, scratches and bruises to his arm, but was otherwise uninjured.

Biggs, a naturist, has hiked that same trail several times and has seen the mother bear and its cub last spring and fall. He said the encounters with the bears were friendly.

“(The cub) stood up on its hind legs and put its paws up and I

got to play patty-cake with it,” he said.

The patty-cake game was simply touching the bottom of its paw with his open palm, more like a high-five. He said the mother watched the two play and her only reaction was to call the cub back. Biggs said he is certain that the mother that saved him during the mountain lion attack is the same bear he has seen in that area before.

“They’re pretty territorial,” he said, adding that he recognized some of the bear’s markings. Though his arm was pretty cut up, he chose not to go to the doctor, a move that concerned his wife Suzanne.

“There were puncture wounds and skin was hanging off, and you don’t know what’s in their paws,” she said.

Biggs said he wasn’t worried because he had a tetanus shot a couple of years ago. Biggs simply put peroxide on his wounds and expects that will be enough.

As for lessons learned, Suzanne quipped, “He doesn’t learn.”

Biggs just chuckled at the comment. The incident isn’t going to stop him from enjoying the Ridge’s wildlife.

pretty awesome story bro

Interspecies high-five saves the day.

We all just need to get along.

CAP

glassjawsh

never had bean soup and whiskey in the same sitting, but nao I want to try it

Letibleu

i just pissed myself. then i read the articles and saw the pictures

Giallo

That story reeks of bullshit.

thingvolds

yeah that never happened

given the area this happened its possible the guy was high as fuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tSm_LWX4Io

agentsmith

Cougars are mean and have sharp claws.  And often SUV’s.

Giallo

wow that bear’s a bitch..but the cougar’s a cunt, the bear just wanted to say hi maybe play a little. And that guy’s obviously retarded, seriously wtf playing patty-cake with bear cubs. he should be dead by now how the fuck did he make it to 69?

hayes

As an
    Coach Outlet Online
    American socialite and hotel heiress, Paris Hilton has built up
    Coach Outlet Online
    a global brand on her sexy image — and sometimes very
    Coach Factory Outlet
    few clothes.But many believe she has gone a step too
    Coach Outlet Store
    far in opening a store selling luxury items in the Muslim
    Coach Outlet
    holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.Hilton’s rise to worldwide fame
    Coach Factory Outlet
    was boosted in part by a homemade sex movie that
    Coach Outlet
    went viral online in 2003, days before the debut of her
    Coach Outlet Store Online
    reality TV series “The Simple Life.”This does not sit well
    Coach Factory Online
    with many in Mecca, which attracts three million Muslim pilgrims
    Coach Factory Outlet
    from around the world every year.All Muslims who are able are
    Coach Outlet Online
    expected to make the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their lifetime, and non-Muslims are not allowed to enter the city.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Fightlinker

Login

Archives