twitter google

Ref. Herb Dean talks on difficulties of Officiating MMA

Home Forums MMA Related Ref. Herb Dean talks on difficulties of Officiating MMA

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  -HHB- 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Following a first round stoppage of the main event at “Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs Henderson,” many fans were quick to criticize referee Herb Dean’s decision to step in and stop Dan Henderson. Since then, Dean has explained on that after reviewing the tape he stands by his decision. Dean, a former pro mixed martial artist himself, talked with us on training still to this day, and keeping updated in the sport.

“I take care of myself. Make sure that I train, make sure I keep up with what’s going on in this sport,” Dean told I’m here, I’m interested. I know what’s going on, that’s where you want to be as an official.”

With the level in competition rising in the sport, Dean talked on the expectations of officiating to improve along with the athletes evolution.

“We are always having much more closely contested fights and that is when the judges are going to need to earn their keep. It’s a tough job. There is many times when I have been there as a referee on some of these very close fights and my first thought is man I’m so glad that I’m not a judge right now. I think the fans have an understanding, the athletes have an understanding of what’s required of a judge and a referee so it’s a lot tougher officiating in this sport. We have professional fighters, and they expect professional officials.”

Dean explains that fans of the sport not only criticize referee’s, but respect an educated decision in the cage.

“Well actually in this sport you do [receive approval]. The referee’s that do a good job. That’s something I like about the sport- is that the fans respect it, and they let you know. They let you know they appreciate you when you’re doing something right also, and that’s a good thing that wasn’t expected.

Love that dude.  I remember when the fan base used to loathe him for allegedly early stoppages, but eventually came to recognize him for being the bomb.  I was worried this was gonna be a setback, but I really don’t care what the hardcores think anymore.

seems to me he is on the ball… fedor was out and i guess that guy was giving the thumbs up

DJ just outed himself as not being hardcore…….GET HIM!!!!!!!

Haha, oh man … I haven’t seen any of those photos in years.  Good times!  I still have those boots, but I sold the mask to some creepy guy from Philly.  I iwsh you hadn’t photoshopped it though.

That must be the modified Boston Crab known as the “Jersey Crab”.

I like Herb. I love smokin it. But anyway, I thought he was considered the best cuz Dana said so. That makes it true, right?

I called it the Chelsea Hotel, but I can see how you’d mistake it for a crab.

Bots at it again.

I had a convo with herb for about 5 minutes about how hard it is to do his job. This dude eats sleeps and shits MMA. He is/was fighter himself. After our convo, I understood much more about the pressure on these guys. The entire time I was talking with him Rosenthal kept butting in and he actually butted into this picture. I asked him twice to move away ( back then he was an unknown). he managed to get into the pic.

I cleared it all out.  It was hundreds.  Ugh.

Man, I love that pic.  You and Rosenthal look so wasted in your own ways.

the fuck…. is there a guy with half a head floating behind you???

ghost photobomber

i actually like rosenthal… he seems like a jackal

^ haqhahahahaha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.