Alistair Overeem seems to genuinely like Ariel Helwani, or at least he’s never threatened to slap him. Yet. So it’s no surprise that Ariel scored pretty much the first interview with Ubereem after the big announcement, and got some more details on his still-wet UFC contract. Here’s the highlights from Ariel’s transcript:
- No more K-1 for The Reem. “I will only be fighting in the UFC.”
- He was offered an immediate title shot against the winner of Velasquez/Dos Santos, but that would’ve meant waiting until next spring. Brock Lesnar’s name was dropped, and he jumped at it. As we already knew, the winner gets a title shot.
- He’ll be paid directly, NOT through his management, which was how his Strikeforce contract already was anyway.
- How many fights on his UFC contract? ” target=”_blank”>”I’ll never tell.”
- The Zuffa office has a great kitchen.
Ariel was also sharp enough to realize that December 30th is a Friday night, which has some folks speculating that this will be a Fox event. Makes sense, in every sense. If Zuffa wants to impress its new Foxy girlfriend with how large and throbbing its ratings-cock can be, a blockbuster fight like that should sure as shit do the trick.