After every EliteXC show comes the standard complaints: it’s trashy as fuck, and the hip hop has to go. I’m gonna mix things up a bit though this time, and concentrate on someone who’s gone from being pretty decent to downright obnoxious: Mauro Renallo.
I know most of you guys remember the Mauro from the Pride days. Back then he was obviously kept on a much tighter leash with the fear that he’d be sent back to announcing backwood Canadian pro wrestling shows if he fucked up. Now though, the dude is pushing the limits like someone who’s got enough jobs lined up to not give a shit. This can be good sometimes, such as at K1 Dynamite where he actually ripped into a lot of the stupid stuff going on. But on the whole he’s basically been allowed to devolve into a retarded pun-spewing gimmick announcer, worse than the guys they have running the booth at the WWE.
I’m not the only one who thinks Mauro’s gone off the deep end. Check out what Bill Thompson from Total MMA thinks:
Another big complaint, and one that I share, is the announcing. MMA companies as whole don’t have much to offer in the way of announcers. Bodog for its first couple of seasons had some very good announcing and the WEC has Frank Mir doing a tremendous job in the booth. Outside of those examples MMA is filled with bad announcing, and EXC is possibly the worst of the lot. Mauro Renallo spends the entire broadcast unleashing hyperbolic statement after hyperbolic statement and sounds like a fool while doing so. He never sounds like he knows what he is talking about and that is because he usually doesn’t. Stephen Quadros has taken his “Fight Professor” gimmick as far as it will take him. People don’t buy into his act anymore, because with each passing show he comes across as more and more incompetent. He contradicts himself on a minute by minute basis and does a terrible job of conveying what is taking place in the fight. That leaves us with Bill Goldberg, an announcer so bad that he makes me yearn for the days of Damon Perry in Pride.
And if you don’t believe him, Steve Cofield has taken the time to write out some of the dumber shit Renallo spouted off during the broadcast. And he actually missed quite a few of the most groan-worthy:
- “Kimbo is ready to prove he belongs among the elite. Miami is a land of hopes realized, where dreams come true.”
- “Tank Abbott is more public enemy than Flavor Flav.”
- “Tank is looking to rain on Kimbo Slice’s Sunshine State parade.”
- “The Bank United Center is shaking down to its foundation. This is the type of tension you can’t cut with a knife. You need a blowtorch. It is absolutely volcanic.”
- “Kimbo calls himself a bear, a lion-he’s out to prove he has more game than a wildlife preserve.”
- “There have been many critics of Kimbo Slice coming into mixed martial arts. I think those critics have been silenced by the sea of humanity here.”
- “Tonight here in Miami, Kimbo Slice proves he’s the big man on campus.”
- “Kimbo Slice legitimizes himself as a mixed martial artist. Watch out heavyweight division.”