As time goes on and more people jump on the MMA news bandwagon, you better believe there’s gonna be more false and misleading information floating around. In this case, the false news was that Trigg/Filho was a done deal for December:
Despite a published report last week to the contrary, Frank Trigg (15-6) says he has not been offered a bout with World Extreme Cagefighting Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho (15-0) for its Dec. 12 event at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The former UFC welterweight contender said he’d been told that the Brazilian Top Team member has been presented with a bout agreement bearing Trigg’s name, though he has not received the complimentary paperwork on his end. Trigg has not been contacted by WEC officials, but said he is open to the bout.
I was waiting for Frank to confirm this fight through his radio show, which I’ve upgraded from ‘frequently wrong’ to ‘reliable enough to trust on matters relating to Frank Trigg’. It is interesting to note that Trigg hasn’t been in touch with WEC people despite the fact that the WEC has already sent out paperwork with his name on it. One would hope the WEC would lock him into a contract before putting out bout agreements with his name on it … but hey, I’m not a superstar businessman so maybe that’s just not how real organizations roll.