Chad Mendes states he doesn’t know anything about the “mock” sign-up of Renan Barao to attend a Bang Muay Thai class under the guidance of Duane Ludwig.
The picture, which Urijah Faber posted on Twitter after T.J. Dillashaw won the belt from Barao, caught the attention of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo.
Well, “Money” took offense to that, posting a message to Aldo himself, writing, “Hey Jose Aldo I don’t know anything about that post but I do know on Aug 2nd I AM going to BEAT YOUR (Expletive).”
Back in 2012, Aldo landed a knee that finished Mendes in Brazil. The two will now meet in Mendes’ backyard of California.
— chad mendes (@chadmendes) June 3, 2014
UFC president Dana White used the media to lay it on the line regarding light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Everyone knows by now that Jones wants to face Daniel Cormier, and not Alexander Gustafsson, next.
However, Gustafsson has been declared the No. 1 contender, even signing for a match with “Bones” in August of this year. The two fought last year, with Jones earning a decision.
“Gustafsson’s next in line,” said White, during an interview with The Albuquerque Journal. “(Gustafsson is) the No. 1 contender, he’s waited for this rematch. It’s just one of those things that sucks, to be honest with you.”
White added that even Cormier agrees with the decision of pairing Gustafsson up against Jones, with “DC” facing the winner.
“Cormier said, ‘Listen, I hope this whole thing works out for me and I get the shot, but even I believe that Gustafsson deserves the next shot,’” White said.
The brash boss continued to lay it on the line regarding Jones, who he has had issues with involving matters in the past. UFC 151 was canceled after Jones declined a fight with Chael Sonnen on short notice, becoming the first planned UFC pay-per-view to be axed completely.
“As soon as (Jones) starts to build some steam and starts to become the star that you think he can be, he comes out and doesn’t want to fight somebody,” White said. “You’re the champion. You’re the pound-for-pound best guy in the world, and he says he wants to be known as the best ever.
“Well, you don’t turn down opponents. You’ve got to fight all the best in the world. You’re the man; everybody’s gunning for you.”
Jones released a video explaining that it is “his career” and he can pick who he wants to defend his title against.
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo took exception to a post made by Urijah Faber and Team Alpha Male following T.J. Dillashaw’s victory over Renan Barao.
Faber “signed” Barao up for a Bang Muay Thai class at the gym after Dillashaw won the bantamweight belt from the Brazilian.
Aldo, a teammate of Barao’s at Nova Uniao, sounded off on the subject during a recent interview with No Mundo Do Luta. Thanks to MMAFighting.com for transcribing.
“By their logic, how many times would we have to sign Urijah Faber in a MMA seminar at Nova Uniao” Aldo asked. “It was lack of respect. We always defeat them, Faber always lost to us and we never did that.
“We always respected them. We always tried to help them when they came here to the gym. We never disrespected them.”
Aldo will be meeting up with Chad Mendes in a rematch this August for the UFC title, and he also believes Barao will eventually get another crack at Dillashaw.
“It’s cool. Let’s be patient, we will meet again,” he continued. “I have a fight coming up and Barao, God willing, will fight Dillashaw again and we will get the payback.”
Aldo (24-1) holds a first round knockout victory over Mendes and a decision vs. Faber. Barao has also defeated Faber twice before.
Despite entering the Dillashaw fight having not lost in nine years, Aldo believes Barao may have overlooked his opponent.
“Two days before the fight, Dana White said Barao was the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, that he could knock out every fight and maybe that made him underestimate Dillashaw,” he said, “who got there humbly and showed how things work.”
If you don’t like or agree with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, it doesn’t sound like he really cares.
Jones, who has been in the news while out of the country, posted a message directed to his “haters” on Tuesday. Shortly after, “Bones” attempted to delete the video, but Bleacher Report was able to upload.
After it was announced that Alexander Gustafsson would get his rematch with Jones in August, the fight was put on hold because the contract had yet to be signed by Jones. Since that time, UFC president Dana White has stated they are still working to complete the contract, but Jones is asking to fight Daniel Cormier instead.
Whether you agree or disagree with Jones and his actions, this video definitely casts the fighter in a different light.
When UFC president Dana White offers up his time for media scrums, he’s asked some interesting questions.
When will the promotion head to “Fill in the blank?” Or, “Why doesn’t so and so get a title shot?”
Another continually asked question surrounds fighters who have left the UFC for jobs elsewhere.
Case in point, last week while in Germany, White was asked about Rich Franklin taking a job with ONE FC in Asia as a vice president. The UFC boss has stated before that Franklin, a former champion, came to them and asked about the position and how they would react. Blessings were exchanged and Franklin is welcome back anytime.
Randy Couture, however, is not. And White explained his reasoning.
“All the guys that I’ve beefed with, the Randy Coutures and others,” White said. “Randy Couture doesn’t have the the balls to sit down face-to-face and talk to you about what he wants to do. He’ll actually lie to your face.”
White has said much the same before about Couture, who is a former champion and member of the Hall of Fame. “The Natural” signed a contract with Viacom, which broadcasts Spike TV and Bellator MMA.
“Randy looks like a great guy on paper,” White said. “The reality of it is he’s not. He’s not a good guy. You can ask everybody that’s ever dealt with him.”
Couture has branched out to acting, appearing in the film series “The Expendables,” which recently added Ronda Rousey to the cast.