The last time we saw Carlos Condit, the former interim UFC welterweight champion and ex-WEC champion needed help out of the Octagon. Condit suffered a knee injury during his March loss to Tyron Woodley, and subsequently underwent surgery to repair the damage that was done.
For now, Condit is rehabbing and working back towards fighting again. It’s just taking time, “The Natural Born Killer” posted on Twitter. He suffered a torn ACL and a partially torn meniscus in the fight with Woodley.
“For all the people asking, the knee is healing really nicely,” he wrote. “Rehab is going great. No clue when I’ll compete again though.”
Condit (29-8) turned 30 years old last month and is 6-3 in his last nine fights overall. Along with the loss to Woodley, he also dropped decisions to Johny Hendricks and Georges St-Pierre, the latter of which was to unify the UFC titles.
Despite his uncertainty in regards to a return fight, Condit remains ranked No. 4 at welterweight by the UFC. The division is headed by Hendricks, who won the title when he defeated Robbie Lawler earlier this year. Hendricks is also injured and sidelined, having had bicep surgery.
Other top contenders in the division have been paired off, as Rory MacDonald meets Woodley and Lawler faces Jake Ellenberger. Matt Brown and Hector Lombard have been rumored as possible future opponents for one another, as well.
For all the people asking, the knee is healing really nicely. Rehab is going great. No clue when I'll compete again though.
— Carlos Condit (@CarlosCondit) May 8, 2014
Tito Ortiz hears all the talk about his performance over Alexander Shlemenko this past weekend at Bellator’s first pay-per-view.
From his ex-wife, Jenna Jameson, to current and former fighters, to members of the media; everyone seems to have an opinion on the Ortiz-Shlemenko contest.
Well, the former UFC light heavyweight champion and Hall of Famer doesn’t care what they have to say, as he stated on Twitter.
“The champ calls me out,” Ortiz started. “Everyone says how he’s going to KO me. I accept the fight and I’m a 5-1 underdog.
“I make him look like an amateur. Now you (people) trying to find excuses of why it happen the way it did!”
Ortiz (17-11-1) earned his first win since a 2011 submission victory over Ryan Bader at UFC 132. He lost three straight, including two TKO finishes, inside the Octagon. “The People’s Champ” stated after the fight with Shlemenko, the Bellator middleweight titleholder, that he still has three bouts on his current contract and he planned to fulfill it.
“I was in the same situation as the Ryan Bader fight,” Ortiz said. “I went through hell these last seven years and now I’m living in heaven.”
Ortiz also made a point to call out the entire light heavyweight division in Bellator, including fellow winner that night Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.
“I will kick all these light heavyweights (expletive), including Rampage’s,” Ortiz boldly remarked.
Ortiz and Jackson were once scheduled to fight for Bellator last November as the promotion was planning its first pay-per-view event. Ortiz, though, suffered a neck injury and has spent the last five months recovering.
Bjorn Rebney revealed some details of the contract Eddie Alvarez signed when he returned to Bellator last year during his media scrum following Bellator 120 Saturday night.
Alvarez was set to meet Michael Chandler in the main event for his lightweight title. He he suffered a head injury in training and was forced out, Will Brooks was brought in as a replacement. Brooks earned the interim title when he scored a split decision over Chandler.
While it would seem to make sense that Alvarez-Brooks would be booked, Rebney told reporters that Alvarez-Chandler 3 could happen first.
“The reality of the Ed situation is that Ed’s contract specifies that his next fight would be against Michael Chandler,” Rebney said (thanks to The MMA Report for the quotes). “So Ed is now in a position where he can choose to fight Chandler, and contractually, we have to give him the Chandler fight after he beat Chandler the first time.
“It’s a situation we’ll have to sit down and discuss with Ed and figure out where it goes because he’s got paperwork and he’s got a contract that gives him the right to demand the Chandler fight.”
Last November, Alvarez won back the title when he earned a split decision over Chandler. Prior to that, Chandler submitted Alvarez to claim the championship in 2011.
During the Brooks-Chandler fight, Alvarez weighed in on the contest, posting on Twitter, “Wow! Completely unexpected Great fight to both guys. I have it even.” He added before the official announcement that he felt Brooks “got it” in the end, which he did on two of the three scorecards by the judges.
It seems Stephan Bonnar still isn’t prepared to move on from his war of words with Tito Ortiz.
Bonnar sent a message directed towards Ortiz following the former UFC light heavyweight champions win over Alexander Shlemenko Saturday night at Bellator 120.
“Congrats to Tito Ortiz for beating a middleweight,” Bonnar wrote, adding the hashtag Help Stop Bullying.
Ortiz called out Bonnar for his induction into the UFC’s Hall of Fame, to which “The American Psycho” fired back during his ” target=”_blank”>video response last year.
Ortiz earned his first win since 2011 when he choked out Shlemenko on the pay-per-view main card. Shlemenko is the reigning Bellator middleweight champion, but the bout was a non-title, light heavyweight affair. The win improved Ortiz to 2-7-1 in his last 10 fights overall.
Bonnar announced his retirement in 2012 after a loss to Anderson Silva in Brazil. He was inducted into the HOF alongside Forrest Griffin. The two are credited with helping build the UFC after their fight on the first season of The Ultimate Fighter.
— Stephan Bonnar (@StephanBonnar) May 18, 2014
If Matt Brown wants to fight a Diaz brother, it will have to be Nate. At least that is what Nate Diaz is saying.
Diaz, who has not fought since a 2013 victory over Gray Maynard, told MMAFighting.com that he would move up from lightweight to welterweight and face Brown, who has won seven straight and positioned himself as a title contender.
“I want the Matt Brown fight,” Diaz said. “That’s what I’m looking for. My brother is retired. So if this guy wants to fight a Diaz, he’s got to fight me.”
Nate Diaz (17-9) competed at 170 pounds until a 2011 move to 155 where he defeated Takanori Gomi via submission. He followed that up with wins over Donald Cerrone and Jim Miller before dropping two straight to Benson Henderson and Josh Thomson.
The loss to Henderson in 2012 was for the UFC lightweight title.
Diaz was the Season 5 lightweight winner on The Ultimate Fighter and competed for the WEC title in the division.
Nick Diaz (26-9), the older brother by a year, retired from MMA after a 2013 decision loss to Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight title. He is a former Strikeforce champion, but has reportedly turned down several offers made to bring him out of retirement.
As for Brown, Nate Diaz added that “I’m trying to fight the baddest (expletive) out there. I’m not trying to fight some lame (expletive) fighter that they’re trying to build off of me.”
Even though he signed a new contract prior to the Henderson title fight, Diaz has remained on the sidelines, asking the UFC to renegotiate his contract.