UFC heavyweight Antonio Silva called for a fight with Josh Barnett on Twitter recently, stating that he will help clear Barnett’s schedule by defeating him.
“Quack quack quack!” Silva wrote. “Sounds like a duck to me. Let me hand you your 2nd loss straight and it’ll free up more time for pro wrestling and podcasts.”
Barnett (33-7), a former UFC heavyweight champion, has been signed to do a podcast for FOX Sports while he waits to make his return to the Octagon. He is coming off a loss to Travis Browne.
Silva, meanwhile, is 18-5 and fought Mark Hunt to a draw last year. However, “Bigfoot” failed the post-fight drug test for elevated levels of testosterone and was handed a nine-month suspension. That suspension should be up this summer, allowing him to compete again.
While the two would appear likely candidates for one another, Barnett doesn’t sound interested in fighting Silva. He took issue with the former No. 1 contender while both were competing in Strikeforce.
“I don’t like him,” said Barnett, in an interview with MMAFighting.com. “I don’t like the way he approached anything about what he did back in his Strikeforce days and all that. I’m not going to help him gain any ground in any way, even by losing to me. I’m not going to get him paid. I’m not going to get him anything if I can help it.”
quack quack quack!Sounds like a duck to me.Let me hand you your 2nd loss straight,and it'll free up more time for pro wrestling and podcasts
— Antonio Pezao Silva (@BigfootSilva) June 24, 2014
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has updated his fans and MMA followers with his latest video offering, showing his return to sparring just days after receiving clearance from a doctor.
Silva, who suffered a broken leg in December during a loss to UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, continues to target 2015 for his return to the Octagon. Possible opponents include Nick Diaz and the winner of an upcoming main event fight featuring Michael Bisping and Cung Le.
In the video, Silva starts off showing some heavy striking and well-balanced movement on his feet. He is working out at the Team Nogueira gym in Brazil.
“Next year,” says Silva, when asked about his return. “Scout’s honor. Next year.”
According to several reports on Twitter, the UFC could soon announce the main event for the Connecticut card this August. The Fight Night event airs September 5, the same night as Bellator from the same state.
Adam Martin reported that the main event could feature heavyweights Alistair Overeem and Stipe Miocic. Both are coming off wins and the man who gets his hand raised could move right into a future title shot.
Overeem (37-13) topped Frank Mir this past February to snap a two-fight losing skid. Both defeats were to eventual title contenders in Travis Browne and Antonio Silva.
Miocic (12-1) has won three straight since a 2012 loss to Stefan Struve. He recently finished Fabio Maldonado after decision wins over Gabriel Gonzaga and Roy Nelson.
So far, the only fights made official for the card include Joe Lauzon-Michael Chiesa and Sean Soriano-Andre Fili.
On this day 10 years ago, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson served notice to the MMA world with a victory over Ricardo Arona at Pride Critical Countdown 2004.
What made the moment so noteworthy? It marked an incredible slam knockout delivered by Jackson to Arona in the first round, over seven minutes into the action.
“Today is the 10 year anniversary of my POWER BOMB slam against Ricardo Arona in Pride,” Jackson wrote on Instagram. “On my 26th bday I’m Japan. A very proud moment 4 me.”
Jackson, coming off a decision win over Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal at Bellator 120, turned 36 years old on Friday.
Alexander Gustafsson still believes he was the winner last year following a five-round war with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
Gustafsson has a tattoo on his right arm showing spades for each of his pro fights. The ones filled in represent the wins, while the one left empty is from a loss to Phil Davis.
For the Jones bout, “The Mauler” filled it in half-way, explaining his reasoning on Facebook.
“Ok, finally done with the updates on my tattoos,” he wrote. “The Jon Jones fight and the Jimi Manuwa are filled in. In my eyes, i won the fight against Jon Jones, but not in the judges eyes, so I filled it just half colored.
“The next tattoo I will do will be filled in fully when I get the belt, this time I will not leave it in the hands of the judges.”
The two will meet at UFC 178 in September.