Marcio Tannure, a medical director with the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission, says that Vitor Belfort is cleared to compete in the country. Belfort has stated in recent interviews that he has worked his way off testosterone replacement therapy, a drug banned by both the UFC and the Nevada Athletic Commission.
“He can fight here, no problem, but can’t use TRT,” Tannure told MMAFighting.com. “Since he doesn’t have a license to use TRT anymore, he would be tested like any other fight.
“Every commission has its standards. I don’t know which test he did and what was the result, so I can’t talk about it.”
Belfort (24-10) was given a surprise drug test when he arrived in Nevada. The results of that test have yet to be released, but he was removed from a planned fight with Chris Weidman for the UFC middleweight title soon after. “The Phenom” insists he will be able to fight, and was even pushing for his shot at the belt over Lyoto Machida.
Back in 2006 while competing for PRIDE, Belfort tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone following a loss to Dan Henderson. That fight took place in Las Vegas, which has allowed many to speculate that obtaining his license to compete in the state could be an issue.
“Every time a fighter that tested positive in the past applies for a license in Nevada, (he) is tested again,” Tannure said. “We will adopt that here as well. This is an interesting criteria and we will also do it, but (Belfort) never tested positive here.”
If, and according to Chael Sonnen that’s still a big if, Wanderlei Silva makes it to their fight later this year, “The American Gangster” has plans for his next fight.
Sonnen, in an interview with Gracie Magazine that you can view in the video below, believes he needs to face Belfort before calling it a career. Sonnen has called out Silva, Belfort and all other Brazilian fighters over the years with comments regarding the country and their way of life.
“Vitor and I’s paths will cross. There’s two guys that, for my career to be complete, I have to fight,” Sonnen said, of Silva and Belfort. “The UFC will tell you the same thing. Sooner or later, that will happen.”
Sonnen also made several bold proclamations, calling himself the “highest paid fighter the UFC’s had,” but that he’s “not in this for the money. I’m not in it for the fame. I do believe a person should just be themselves.”
Sonnen and Silva are the head coaches on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 that is currently airing on Fight Pass.
Former Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson doesn’t really seem to care if Nate – or Nick – Diaz believe his apology for comments posted to his Twitter account over the weekend.
Thomson, who called out Nick Diaz for a fight on the social media platform, insists that his phone was stolen while out to dinner and someone else made the remarks. They included mentioning his knockout victory over Nate Diaz last year.
Nate himself took to Twitter and stated that he didn’t believe Thomson, saying he “got drunk talked a bunch of stupid shit when you woke up you panicked an back-peddled.”
Well, Thomson responded, writing, “I apologized out of respect for you and brother, if it’s not appreciated, honestly, I don’t give crap what you believe.”
Currently, both Diaz brothers have expressed their frustrations with the UFC. Nick retired after a loss to Georges St-Pierre and has turned down several fight offers, while Nate is asking for a new contract after defeating Gray Maynard to close out 2013.
Thomson is coming off a decision loss to Benson Henderson in January, but is sidelined after suffering a hand injury in the fight.
@NateDiaz209 I apologized out of respect for you and brother, if it's not appreciated, honestly, I don't give crap what you believe.
— Josh Thomson (@THEREALPUNK) May 5, 2014
They say the trick to wooing a Dagestani girl is compliment her on her fur and make sure she has a nice muzzle, collar and chain. If that’s true, then UFC star lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov is totally a boss when it comes to the women in his home country.
Yesterday, the 155 pounder no one wants to fight posted this to his Instagram with the pretty much indecipherable caption, “Met my friend from childhood and my best sparing partner ever, and now my hunting belt started.” But language barrier be damned! It’s clear that when it comes to love and affection, the dude and his woman are extremely happy together.
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has kept everyone up-to-date on his progress from a December broken leg. Now, “The Spider” is ready to step up his rehab to another level.
Ed Soares, the manager for Silva, told MMAjunkie.com that his client has been cleared to resume MMA training. Silva was being looked over by doctors at the Kerlan-Jobe clinic in Los Angeles.
“We’ve talked with the UFC, and we’ll see what they come up with,” Soares said, in regards to a possible return to the Octagon for the former champion.
Silva (33-6) previously stated that he would not fight again this year, but UFC president Dana White recently said there was a chance he could return. White added that if it wasn’t late-2014, early-2015 would be the time for Silva’s return.
“He always does that with the media,” White said. “I don’t know if he likes to play with you guys or what he likes to do, but I said, he’ll be back in 2014 or first thing in 2015. End of 2014 or beginning of 2015 is what I said.”
In December, Chris Weidman successfully defeated Silva for a second time after checking a leg kick that left the challenger on the canvas with a broken leg. Earlier in the year, Weidman stopped Silva in the second round to become the UFC champion.
As for who Silva might be facing off against, Soares said “He’s not one to call anyone out particularly.” The 39-year-old holds numerous UFC records, including for the longest title reign and most consecutive wins.