I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Dana White doesn’t always tell the truth when he talks to the media. Often times he’ll say things to create a buzz. Other times he will say things to try and force negotiations through with fighters. In the case of telling Yahoo Sports the Wanderlei Silva fight is off, my bet is this is just the latest bit of hardballing that Dana White is doing to try and push the deal through. Let’s look at the two key bits in this article:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship is scrambling for a main event for the company’s planned Sept. 22 show at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., after light heayweight Wanderlei Silva told UFC president Dana White through an intermediary that he did not want to fight Chuck Liddell.
But White said Wednesday he was told by a member of Silva’s Chute Box team that Silva did not want to fight Liddell. White said the deadline for having the fight made was Wednesday.
Lets see: the fight is off because a ‘member’ of Silva’s Chute Boxe team said Silva didn’t want to fight Chuck. How beleivable does that sound, especially since Silva has confirmed the fight on his website? And how fucking lax is it that the writer Kevin Iole didn’t flex his journalistic muscles (or awaken his journalistic integrity) and actually contact someone from Chute Boxe himself to confirm Dana White’s statement?
Dana White is basically using the Marty McFly attack: Call the guy a chicken, and see what happens. I’m just literally amazed that Kevin Iole is so far up Dana’s ass that he’ll just pass along whatever he’s told without doing even a little bit of research. Of course, I guess that’s the price you gotta pay to get your stupid fucking face on the Countdown shows, huh Kevin?
So Kevin … what about the post on Wanderlei Silva’s site which says he was ready to fight? What about contacting Chute Boxe and confirming Dana White’s statements? How about you stop being a fucking buttboy for the UFC and actually do some real reporting?
I was holding off on posting something about Wand-Chuck because I’m sick and tired of reporting ‘almost maybe’ news. I’m a sensitive motherfucker and I’m tired of getting my hopes and dreams crushed over and over by the general MMA news sites. I’m looking directly at you, Loretta Hunt. Just because I want to have sex with your vagina doesn’t mean you can get my hopes up about Ken Shamrock.
Anyways, things look firm enough now to make a post. Sam Caplan translated a post on Wanderlei Silva’s official site which basically says “The fight is happening on September 22nd”. So that’s good enough for me. Now we just have to see what the MMA Gods do to try and deny us this fight again. Perhaps Silva will get hit by a bus. Or Chuck’s penis will be sucked clean off by a horde of hot club bitches. Anyways, lets just cross our fingers and think positive thoughts.
Well, looks like the Rich Franklin video is really really popular. After 13,000+ views on Dailymotion it got yanked, and now it’s only on Youtube, where it is#18 on the list of top 20 sports videos of the week. It has spawned about 30 threads across the internet and has spiked our traffic pretty hardcore. So hopefully people who have come by stick around and enjoy the site.
Fun fact for all you new peeps: posting in the comments section makes me a happy webmaster, and happy webmasters post more funny stuff. Thanks everyone for your support, and don’t forget to tell a friend if you like the site.
I was originally going to write a post on here mocking Pramit Mohapatra for saying EliteXC’s next event would be on July 27th. Considering July 27th is 16 days from now and nothing was announced yet, I thought it was pretty unlikely to say the least. However, I’m glad I kept my mouth shut because it does look like he was right. The Fight Network confirms the event:
Pro Elite and Showtime will launch the first of its “ShoXC” events on July 27 at the Chumash Casino in Santa Ynez, California. In the vein of the pay premium cable network’s “ShoBox” events, “ShoXC” will spotlight up-and-coming talent.
Lightweight strikers Edson Berto (12-3-1) , fresh off an electrifying 47-second submission over Victor Valenzuela as a four-day replacement at June 22′s Strikeforce-EliteXC venture, and KJ Noons collide in the main event.
It will be interesting to see the production level for this new ‘smaller’ show.
MMAFighting.com is reporting that Rick Slaton, the fighter at the center of a huge brawl/stabfest back in 2002, is not suspended forever as originally believed and could be back in action very soon. Which is really cool, because if there’s one thing we’re missing in MMA right now is a bunch of violent bikers who will stab you in the eye for booing their bro. What’s that you say? You never heard about the Rick Slaton riot? Well, lets hop into my magical time machine with our friends from MMA Ring Report:
However, several of Slaton’s numerous fans took exception to the ruling and began to toss beers into the ring. The real fireworks started though, when a fan in the front row retaliated by throwing his own cup back towards the legion of Slaton’s followers. At this point, all hell broke loose as “The Mongols” rushed the ringside area. Blows were thrown, chairs began to fly, and the overwhelmed security force battled to regain control as fans fled out of the chaotic scene. To his credit, Slaton took the microphone and pleaded with his “brothers” to stop the fighting, but to no avail. The event was cancelled and the event center eventually cleared, after some semblance of order had been restored.