twitter google

Yesterday I had mentioned that Joe Riggs was done with Zuffa and was showing up on the Strikeforce Playboy mansion card. At first I thought he had been dropped because he had pulled out of a bout last minute with injuries. But it turns out now that Riggs *asked* to be let go, and not in the ‘I need to walk the earth’ way, and not in the ‘I need to kill some poor bastards in carnival leagues’ way either.

Joe Riggs (26-9) has no problem fighting for any promotion, as long as he gets a little respect. The seven-time UFC veteran says he recently asked promoters Zuffa LLC. to release him from a four-fight co-promotional contract with its sister organization World Extreme Cagefighting to pursue more lucrative offers that would entail less fights.

Earlier that year, Riggs says the WEC had unceremoniously stripped him of his middleweight title with little reason other than the promotion had too many title bouts scheduled for a card Riggs ended dropping off from.

“They didn’t strip [featherweight champion] Urijah Faber or [light heavyweight champion] Doug Marshall, whoever he is, and then they let a fighter I already beat fight for my title,” says Riggs.

I can’t really comment on Joe’s specific gripes because I don’t know enough about them. But from an outsider’s point of view, Zuffa seems to have treated Joe Riggs pretty well. They allowed him to bounce back and forth between the UFC and WEC so he could defend his WEC title (remember, this was before the UFC owned WEC). When Karo Parisyan was injured and lost his title shot, the UFC tapped Joe Riggs to replace him. After a devastating loss to Mike Swick, they gave him a soft rebound fight with Jason Von Flue on national television. Then they gave him a headlining fight on an Ultimate Fight Night against Diego Sanchez!

Honestly, I really don’t know what else Zuffa could have done for Joe Riggs other than massage his balls while deep throating his cock. So while I can understand why he would leave the WEC fold to fight easier opponents for similar cash, I can’t agree with Rigg’s assessment that he ‘got no respect’ from Zuffa.

For all the slack I cut on the UFC underpaying their fighters, there are a few feel good stories that emerge from the pile of broken dreams. In this case, the story is about Jason Lambert. Lambert’s opponent Wilson Gouveia had to pull out of their September 22nd bout with a busted nose, and now Lambert is stuck without an opponent for the show:

“Jason is in fantastic shape and ready to go,” said his North County Fight Club manager Jeff Clark Monday. Clark says his client has been instructed to stay fight-ready for the 205-pound heavy Sept. 22 event in case of a dropout.

“The UFC was generous enough to offer Jason his show money if he comes to the event prepared,” says Clark. “I think it was respectful of them to recognize that Jason had put a lot of time and effort in up to this point.”

That’s a pretty decent step up for the UFC to still pay Jason despite the fact he’s not getting to fight. Realistically the chances of another light heavyweight pulling out this close to the wire is nearly zero, so it’s more of a goodwill gesture than anything else. No word yet on if the UFC will also help out Gouveia at all with his medical bills, training expenses, or general cost of living. But hey … fuck him right? Bastard hurt himself.

Here’s the one making the rounds:

Here’s the original:

Now you too can get in on the fun and make your own:

With Jake in Cambodia diddling young boys, I was going to try a solo run at the Low Blow thing. But my relationship of a year and a half just fell apart today and I don’t think anyone wants to hear me crying alone for 30 minutes. Yeah, it would be funny for the first 5 minutes but after that it just gets uncomfortable, you know?

Anyways, I have decided to lie on the couch and stare at the ceiling instead. But worry not, loyal listeners. I leave you with the infamous LOST EPISODE where I got shitfaced and made no sense whatsoever. This podcast dates back to just before UFC73 … Shakespeare it is not. But if there’s one thing Britney Spears has taught me, it’s that the show must go on … no matter how bad it may be.

Yeah, we’re all crossing our fingers and toes in hope that Mark Cuban will prove himself to be the most awesome dude in the universe and announce Fedor vs Barnett tomorrow at his press conference. Hell, earlier on I was hoping my lost love Ken Shamrock would make an appearance!

Unfortunately, I’m now thinking things will be a bit more small fry. How much more small fry? Try Erik Paulson vs Jeff Ford small fry. Of course, that’s completely based off of what the HDNet Fights website says. Who knows, it could all be an elaborate trick.

If you wanna know more, just go to the Meet the Fighters page, where it lists 20 fighters. Basic math brings that out to 10 matches. Could these be all the fighters for Cuban’s first show? Well that would certainly be disappointing. Other than Pete Spratt and Sean Salmon, there’s nary a name my TUF Noob brain recognizes!

So anyways, I suppose Cuban could grow a pair overnight and make some kind of earth shattering announcement. But considering there are guys in Alberta with better fight cards than this, I stand by my initial opinion: Cuban’s gonna start small and figure out what’s up before blowing a big wad of cash on anything.

Page 2,858 of 2,9711...102030...2,8562,8572,8582,8592,860...2,8702,8802,890...2,971

Follow Fightlinker

Archives