Brendan Schaub wants to face Mark Hunt inside the Octagon.
Hunt doesn’t believe Schaub has done enough to warrant a fight with him.
So, what better place for the two to settle their differences for now than Twitter, right? Because that is exactly what the two UFC heavyweights did.
Hunt was being pushed for the New Zealand card later this year, but he will not be cleared in time to compete. Schaub does not have a fight scheduled yet, so there is still a distinct possibility these two meet up inside the Octagon.
It all started when a fan posted that Hunt vs. Schaub would be a “great fight.” Schaub agreed, Hunt did not.
“Cause he sucks why else,” Hunt wrote. It didn’t take Schaub long to respond, posting, “strong word coming from a guy who basically lost his last two fights and is 9-8.”
The two proceeded to call out each other for recent losses, with Hunt pointing to Schaub’s knockout loss vs. Ben Rothwell, and “The Hybrid” replying with “I’m gonna open up a jiu jitsu school in New Zealand to help you out” in regards to his submission loss to Sean McCorkle.
Things picked up from there, with Hunt stating he will “stand on them lips of yours” if Schaub goes for a submission. He added plans to go for his own submission “if u make it past the first round.”
Schaub threw down another challenge, writing that “If you sub me I’ll give you my purse. If I KO you give me yours? Deal?”
— Brendan Schaub (@BrendanSchaub) April 10, 2014
Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre underwent surgery to repair his torn ACL on Wednesday, and everything progressed smoothly.
St-Pierre, who vacated the title last December and stepped away from active competition, suffered the injury while training. Before the injury, there was no mention of a return to the Octagon.
The Canadian was staying active, helping out his Tristar Gym teammates and going on several media tours to talk about his hope for more drug testing.
“Just got out of the hospital,” GSP wrote. “Surgery was a success. Road to Recovery has started again.”
St-Pierre suffered an injury to his right knee in 2011.
Just got out of the hospital- surgery was a success. Road to Recovery has started again. pic.twitter.com/QTAqF2ityx
— Georges St-Pierre (@GeorgesStPierre) April 9, 2014
If Anderson Silva wants to step inside the boxing ring with former champion Roy Jones, Jr., the boxer is ready.
Jones, during a recent interview with MixFight.ru out of Russia, said he is down for the bout. But, he feels the UFC is holding Silva back. “The Spider” broke his leg last December and remains on the sidelines recovering.
“The UFC….they’re having second thoughts. They’re not really making up their mind, whether they want to let him (box) or not,” Jones said. “He wants to because he wants to box. I want to. It’s just a matter of the organization giving him the freedom to do it.”
UFC president Dana White has stated in the past his frustration with Silva and his desire to box.
Hear the complete interview in the video below:
Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting obviously just hit record and let Nate Diaz talk during their recent interview, because that is all Diaz did – talk.
The former contender has been silent outside of a few messages on Twitter since defeating Gray Maynard last year.
He asked for his release from the UFC. He asked for more money.
Rumors of Diaz being set to fight a number of times have come and gone, and now, the fighter is explaining what is going on behind the scenes.
It wouldn’t do it much justice to just post bits and pieces of Helwani’s interview, so here’s a link to the entire story and some of the more notable comments made by Diaz.
“I’m ready to fight but not for some funny money that they’re trying to give me. They can let me go or they can let me fight, but let me do something. They know I need to make some money.”
“They need to be about more money. My contract is all (expletive) up. I want to be paid like these other fighters. I’m over here getting chump change.”
“I train harder than everybody in the UFC. And then there’s boxers out there getting multi-million dollar contracts, and I’m a bigger draw than boxers. It’s embarrassing. I think I’m the biggest draw in the lightweight division.”
“I don’t talk to the UFC. No one calls me. I’m not going to call them beginning. They know I’m on call, I take every fight.”
Diaz also stated that he was told his deal could be renegotiated after his fight with Benson Henderson, which was for the UFC title. UFC president Dana White responded to what Diaz had to say.
“Nate Diaz came in and signed a new deal and was very happy with his new deal,” White said. “If he would have (beat Henderson), his deal would have changed.
“Now he comes off a win over Gray Maynard (following the Henderson and Josh Thomson losses) and feels like he should be making Justin Bieber money. Nate needs to get back in there and start fighting.”
Former Strikeforce champion Cris Cyborg is down to fight anybody, including boxing great Holly Holm.
Reports circulated recently tying Cyborg and Holm to a possible pay-per-view fight. No further details were mentioned in regards to where, by which promotion or when the bout might go down.
In fact, Cyborg is making it pretty clear she has heard nothing about meeting Holm – other than the various social media rumors.
“I like Holly Holm. She is a great boxer, but neither myself nor my manager has spoken to anyone about a fight with Holly,” Cyborg posted on Facebook recently. “I will fight anyone, anytime, anywhere. I would love to fight (Holm) – boxing or MMA – but first she has to sign with Invicta or at least have her manager contact my manager.”
Cyborg, who has been rumored herself for a possible future in the UFC, also took a shot at Ronda Rousey, saying, “Unlike Ronda, at least Holly wants to fight me. I respect that! I’m ready!!”
In her most recent fight, Cyborg lost a Muay Thai bout for the Lion Fight welterweight title last month. Her MMA win streak remains intact, as she has not lost since her debut fight.