If former boxing champion Roy Jones, Jr. really wants to test his skills against an MMA fighter, Nick Diaz is ready to step up.
Just one problem.
Diaz told FightHub TV over the weekend while attending the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley boxing fight in Las Vegas that he would be willing to throw down with Jones, but he needs a little financial assistance first.
“If I could get somebody to buy my contract out, I’d be fighting out here,” he said. “Tell (Jones) to buy my contract so we can fight.”
Diaz expressed his reason for being in Sin City to see Pacquiao, saying, “I love the way he fights.” He also stated that being away from MMA has allowed him to attend several boxing events, adding, “people don’t think I am a serious boxing fan.”
Check out the complete video below to also hear Diaz discuss his desire to fight for the UFC championship.
Martin Kampmann remains “on the sidelines” as far as a return to MMA goes, but there is one person who would get him to jump right back into a fight camp.
“That would be a fight I would really like because he’s considered one of the all-time best welterweights,” said Kampmann, during a recent interview on Submission Radio. “I’d love to get a fight against him and I’ve always been wanting to.”
Kampmann (20-7) is coming off two knockout losses at the hands of Carlos Condit and current champion Johny Hendricks. Prior to that, the 31-year-old had picked up three straight victories inside the Octagon.
Back in 2010, Kampmann welcomed Jake Shields to the UFC and was on the wrong end of a split decision. Shields was recently released from the UFC after a loss to Hector Lombard.
“Shields is not really a very exciting fight so I don’t think it comes as that big of a surprise (to see him cut),” Kampmann said. “In the UFC, you gotta be able to sell tickets and get people to turn on the TV.”
Kampmann also said he still believes “I beat him, but unfortunately, the judges didn’t see it that way.
“When he fought me, he was trying to hump my leg and that’s what he does to people and that doesn’t always make for exciting fights.”
John Howard nearly took the full five minutes he was given to recover from an inadvertent low blow at UFC Fight Night 39 Friday vs. Ryan LaFlare.
While he eventually was able to continue, the damage was done, as Howard was still grimacing after the bout concluded and LaFlare had been declared the victor.
“Doomsday” took to Twitter to ask for a rematch with LaFlare, citing how incredibly devastating the low blow was.
“Ryan LaFlare good fight but I want a rematch that nut hit change the fight,” he wrote. “I would like a rematch.”
The loss snapped a four-fight win streak for Howard (22-9) that included two straight decisions after returning to the Octagon last year.
Sorry guys for the lost but that nut shot fucking sucked I don't care have tough u are that shit suck
— JohnDoomsdayHoward (@JohnDoomsday) April 11, 2014
UFC female bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey still has ill-will towards Bryan Caraway, the boyfriend of Miesha Tate.
The rivalry between Rousey and Tate engulfed Caraway. Last year, Rousey scored a second victory over Tate to successfully defend her title.
Tate tried to shake hands after, but Rousey refused. It seemed like the war was over, but maybe not.
TMZ Sports caught up with Rousey recently and she explained her thoughts on Caraway.
“Everyone knows it’s Bryan Caraway,” she said, when asked if there was any male fighter she could face. “If anyone deserves (a beating), it’s that guy.”
Hear what else Rousey had to say on Cris Cyborg and Fallon Fox in the video below. She has some interesting thoughts on Fox, the female fighter who was born a man.
Stand and trade with Roy Nelson, and wind up on your butt.
Nelson connected on numerous heavy shots against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Friday at UFC Fight Night 39, but none bigger than the right-hand that floored the former interim UFC heavyweight champion.
“Big Country” earned his 13th career knockout in the main event from Abu Dhabi. He is now 4-2 in his last six, with all four victories coming via finish.
“Anytime you beat Big Nog (it’s an accomplishment),” he said. “He’s a legend. Thank you. If it wasn’t for him, there wouldn’t be fighting in MMA. He’s the heavyweight (legend).”
Nelson (20-9) was preparing to go the distance with Nogueira, saying “my goal was to get a takedown and go five rounds. To push the pace.
“(The right hand) just happened. My right hand landed first.”
Following 2013 decision losses to Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic, Nelson is ready to start his way back up to the title. Even though he believes a different path is in order.
“I always want to fight for the belt,” he said. “Let me just start there and work my way backwards.”