twitter google
nate diaz

There was no UFC event this past weekend, but the official rankings were still updated.

TJ Grant and Nate Diaz were removed from the lightweight Top-15. And while Grant simply stated he plans to be back ranked as soon as he can, Diaz took a different path.

The Diaz path.

On Instagram, the former title contender posted a screenshot of Anthony Pettis’ recent fights, adding, “UFC Lol this is inactivity.” The picture, which you can see below, shows Pettis fighting Benson Henderson last August, Donald Cerrone last January, Joe Lauzon in early 2012 and Jeremy Stephens late in 2011.

Pettis, the UFC lightweight champion, has went through a handful of injuries over the past three years, keeping him from fighting. Currently, he is rehabbing and preparing to coach on The Ultimate Fighter 20 against Gilbert Melendez.

Just for the sake of comparison, since Pettis fought Stephens in 2011, Diaz has competed five times. He did fight four times total in 2011.

ufc fight night 40

Matt Brown doesn’t believe any of his past six wins were a product of luck. Instead, he says it is his dedication to his craft.

Brown returns to the Octagon Saturday to meet Erick Silva in the main event of UFC Fight Night 40 from Cincinnati. He stopped by “UFC Tonight” earlier this week to talk about his six-fight win streak.

“There ain’t no luck in this sport,” Brown said. “You know how hard I’ve worked to make my right hand work? Plus, I started wrestling these past year. I never did in my life.

“Not only does it help you with your confidence with the takedown, my foundation, my base and my overall strength has improved with working with these wrestlers.”

The welterweight division holds some of the elite wrestlers in all of MMA, as champion Johny Hendricks was a standout collegiate wrestler at Oklahoma State University. Former champ Georges St-Pierre used his takedowns and takedown defense to hold the belt for years, while Robbie Lawler, Tyron Woodley, Jake Ellenberger and Kelvin Gastelum have all shown their prowess on the canvas.

“There’s no secret (to the win streak),” Brown stated. “I stayed on the grind. I kept working hard every day. I stayed in the gum and I didn’t let it get me down. I didn’t let it slow me down.

“I stayed true to who I am. If you work hard enough, the good things are going to happen to you. Whether it’s success in the Octagon or out of it.”

tj grant

As far as UFC president Dana White is concerned, the decision to remove TJ Grant and Nate Diaz from the official UFC rankings was a simple one.

They are not currently active.

White, during an interview on “UFC Tonight” Wednesday, discussed the issue. Both fighters were taken out of the rankings earlier this week, while former UFC champion Dominick Cruz remained in the bantamweight Top-10 despite being off longer than either Grant or Diaz.

“Everyone is talking about Nate Diaz being removed and so has TJ Grant, for inactivity,” White said. “Early on, we let Dominick hold the title for as long as we did. But it’s unfair for the guys who are staying active.

“When you have a guy like TJ and they have an injury, that’s pretty serious, so they get dropped. When they come back, they’ll get added back. The same for Diaz. He’s not taking any fights and we’re not sure when he will. When he comes back, he’ll be ranked again.”

Grant (21-5) has been out of action since a win last May over Gray Maynard. He was slotted for a title shot in the lightweight division, but a concussion suffered in training scrapped that. The Canadian has remained on the sidelines due to lingering effects from that injury.

Diaz (17-9) fought in November and stopped Maynard. He has publicly stated a desire for a new UFC contract, but just signed a deal in 2012 before taking on Benson Henderson for the title.

Meanwhile, Cruz (19-1) hasn’t competed since 2011 when he bested Demetrious Johnson. Officials stripped him of the title earlier this year after a groin injury took him out of a fight with Renan Barao to unify the belts.

Say What!? Chris Lytle Wants To Box Roy Jones

During Wednesday’s edition of “UFC Tonight,” it was reported that former UFC fighter Chris Lytle is in talks to box Roy Jones, Jr. You might remember Jones as the person Anderson Silva most wanted to test himself against inside the squared circle.

Lytle retired from MMA in 2011 after submitting Dan Hardy. He went 5-1 over his last six fights, which spanned two years.

He found success inside the cage and the boxing ring, winning the Indiana Boxing Association light heavyweight title and defending it twice. Lytle, 39 years old, amassed a 13-1-1 record in boxing, including five straight wins from 2004-05.

That was his last boxing fight, though, as he shifted complete focus to MMA after defeating Omar Pittman in 2005.

Lytle is a firefighter and ran for the Indiana State Senate in 2012. He told Ariel Helwani that he would be “happy every second I was in there with him.”

Now, Jones’ resume is an incredible one. The 45-year-old posted a 57-8 record with 40 career knockouts, including a recent decision victory in Russia to win the WBU cruiserweight title.

In his career, Jones has defeated the likes of Felix Trinidad, Antonio Tarver, John Ruiz, James Toney and Bernard Hopkins. He has held 14 world titles, spanning 160 pounds to 200-plus when he became the WBA heavyweight champion.

During the program, Chael Sonnen was asked his take on a potential Lytle-Jones bout.

“This is not his world,” Sonnen said. “If (Lytle) uses his jab, uses his footwork and has a perfect night. And Roy shows up sick, tired and injured, Roy still wins in the first round.”

Anderson Silva

Despite his clearance to begin training again in MMA. And despite the “wording” of UFC president Dana White stating a fight in 2014 would be possible for Anderson Silva, the ex-middleweight champion is focusing on other things.

Silva, who suffered a broken leg last December in a loss to Chris Weidman for the belt, told MMA HEAT that he has his priorities outside of the Octagon. Instead, he’ll work towards fighting again in 2015.

“I back for next year. This year, I no back for fight,” Silva said. “I have my plans. I have my family. I stay together my family. I work more in my academy in Brazil, so next year, I don’t know when, but next year.”

Silva (33-6) turned 39 years old last month and is coming off back-to-back losses at the hands of Weidman. It is the first such losing streak of his career, which dates back to 1997 when he debuted in Brazil.

While his doctor told him he is ready for contact, Silva is taking a different approach. Initially, the injury scared him, but he has already overcome that fear.

“My leg is perfect,” he said. “I don’t have nothing difficult. My doctor….(said) you’re ready for kick. You ready. I (won’t) be back until next year.”

Silva has kept fans in-tune with his rehab and road to recovery, posting several video and picture messages on his many social media outlets. So far, he has not targeted a certain fighter for his return bout.

During his career, Silva has defeated the likes of Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen and Demian Maia.

Page 44 of 2,9711...102030...4243444546...506070...2,971

Follow Fightlinker

Archives