twitter google
ufc 183

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva still had seven fights left on his contract that was agreed upon last year.

However, with officials in UFC over the weekend, “The Spider” signed a new deal, which is even longer than the previous one.

Silva is set to return to action after a year-long hiatus due to a broken leg this January at UFC 183 against Nick Diaz. The Brazilian suffered the injury last December in a loss to Chris Weidman.

“I had seven fights on my contract. I met with Lorenzo (Fertitta) and Dana (White) on Thursday and that contract was canceled,” Silva told Combate. “We signed for another 15 fights. To make Dana crazy, I signed for 15 more fights.

“And to make my family crazy, too.”

Silva (33-6) has competed 18 times inside the Octagon, going 16-2. That includes wins over Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, Rich Franklin, Forrest Griffin and others, but he has lost his last two to Weidman.

At UFC 179, Silva was given a warm welcome by his fans, sitting cageside for the night to watch fellow Brazilian Jose Aldo keep a belt in the country by besting Chad Mendes.

jose aldo

UFC president Dana White made the trip to Brazil this past week with the rest of his promotion, sitting Octagon-side for what he referred to as the “greatest featherweight title fight” ever Saturday night at UFC 179.

The main event saw Jose Aldo turn back the challenge of Chad Mendes and defend his title for a second time over the Team Alpha Male fighter. The contest, though, wasn’t without controversy.

After the opening round ended, Aldo landed two shots following the bell – the second of which floored Mendes, who had his hands down. Both the champion and referee stated they didn’t hear the sound due to the arena exploding.

“You couldn’t hear the bell go off here,” White said, during an interview on FOX Sports 2. “It was so loud in the arena. I didn’t hear it. My phone was blowing up afterward saying it was a cheap shot, but you couldn’t hear the bell.”

Despite that, and the numerous illegal strikes landed by both fighters, White still had nothing but praise for the actual bout.

“That’s the best featherweight title fight I’ve ever seen,” he said. “It lived up to my expectations. This was a great fight for Jose, and Chad was in shape coming in and brought out the best in Jose.”

Just like Aldo and Mendes did after, White was asked about Conor McGregor. “Notorious” is scheduled to meet Dennis Siver in January, but was on-hand for the fight.

“Jose just finished this fight,” White said. “We could have a fight between those guys in summer. Jose’s pretty banged up and he takes time off after his title fights.

“McGregor has got to get past Dennis first.”

ufc 179

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was pushed to the brink against Chad Mendes over the weekend at UFC 179, but the Brazilian still came out on top.

It was a stark contrast to the first meeting, which saw Aldo land a devastating knee to the face of Mendes that knocked him out with just a second left in the opening round.

Aldo showed his true warrior spirit in battling back from a beating by Mendes that left him with damage to his face and eyes, along with the rest of his body. But, despite all that, “Scarface” still would like to mix it up with “Money” a third time.

“He’s a great athlete,” Aldo told MMAjunkie.com afterwards. “He’s always going to be fighting in this weight class, right on top. It’s not (like) because he lost, he’s no good anymore. He’s very good. He’s got great potential and in the future, we could meet again. And I hope that we have another great fight.”

Aldo (25-1) is likely to meet either Cub Swanson, Frankie Edgar or Conor McGregor next, but he sees a trilogy with Mendes (16-2) being a possible crowning achievement in his career.

“I saw Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard fight three times,” Aldo said. “They were great fights. In this fight, of course, I’m still the champion. But Chad Mendes was also victorious in this fight, and the third fight, we’re going to win again together.”

Mendes took the long path back to his rematch, winning five fights since the loss to Aldo the first time around. That included four finishes, highlighted by becoming the first man to stop Clay Guida inside the cage.

UFC 179 Complete Coverage, Results, PBP

FightLine has live coverage tonight of UFC 179: Aldo vs. Mendes 2.

The event airs on UFC Fight Pass, FOX Sports 1 and pay-per-view from Brazil, with Jose Aldo defending his featherweight title vs. Chad Mendes in the main event.

We’ll have complete play-by-play of all the action, post-fight analysis and all your breaking news; and of course, UFC 179 results, over on FightLine.

ufc 179

UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor hosted a live Fight Club Q&A session from Brazil for UFC 179 today.

The event got out of hand once Brazilian fans starting asking the questions, including one asking McGregor if his father was a “transgender prostitute.” “Notorious” handled the the situation pretty good, and you can see a replay of the 18-minute session below:

Page 5 of 2,9681...34567...102030...2,968

Follow Fightlinker

Archives