The Nevada Athletic Commission passed a motion to ban therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy during a meeting Thursday.
Skip Avansino, commission of the NAC, made the motion to ban TRT, which was supported by Pat Lundvall. The NAC regulates all contests and exhibitions of unarmed combat within the state of Nevada, including licensure and supervision of promoters, boxers, kickboxers, MMA fighters, seconds, ring officials, managers and matchmakers.
The commission voted unanimously to approve of the ban, and those that have previously received exemptions will see them expire.
Lundvall, also stated that the NAC should push other states to follow suit in order to avoid states becoming magnets for those who want to use fighters with exemptions.
In the UFC alone, fighters such as Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen, Dan Henderson, Frank Mir and Antonio Silva have been granted TRT exemptions for fights.
Belfort’s name is of special interest because after three straight fights in Brazil, he is scheduled to meet Chris Weidman for the UFC middleweight title in May.
The UFC issued a statement through president Dana White in support of the decision.
“The Ultimate Fighting Championship fully supports the decision made today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the immediate termination of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). We believe our athletes should compete based on their natural abilities and on an even playing field. We also intend to honor this ruling in international markets where, due to a lack of governing bodies, the UFC oversees regulatory efforts for our live events. We encourage all athletic commissions to adopt this ruling.”
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. claimed the checkered flag this past weekend at the Daytona 500, and earned himself an interview on “UFC Tonight” Wednesday evening.
Earnhardt, who’s nephew, Jeffrey Earnhardt, is training MMA, was asked if there is anyone in NASCAR he’d like to throw down with inside the cage.
“I’d like to go against my friends,” he said. “Martin Truex, Jr. maybe Jimmie (Johnson). That’d be fun to see who would win.”
As for himself, Earnhardt said “When I was young, I had a boxing ring for years. Me and my buddies would get in there and go at it for 10 rounds.”
Junior also provided Chael Sonnen with some words of advice, as Sonnen will be driving the pace car at a race in Phoenix this coming weekend.
“You’re going to go about 60 miles an hour,” he said. “There’s two walls on either side of the track, just stay in the middle of them.”
It’s hard to believe Vitor Belfort’s Mohawk hairstyle could be more outrageous than that – a Mohawk.
Well, it appears “The Phenom” has found a way to take it to the next level.
Belfort posted a picture of the back of his head, with a cross cut into his hair and a mini ponytail, along with the following on his Instagram account:
“Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee Shall prosper, and every tongue shall rise against thee que in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and Their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord. Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; every tongue that dares against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn; This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD. New cut and then u have audacity. Live to please God only”
Belfort is slated to face Chris Weidman in May for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 173. No word yet on if the cross will still be present for that fight – or when Belfort will find out if he can use TRT or not for the contest.
Ahead of his match up with Tim Kennedy, Michael Bisping is working out with some of the top athletes in the world.
Bisping, who will face Kennedy at UFC Fight Night in April, is returning from a severe eye injury that almost forced “The Count” into retirement.
See if you can name the training partners Bisping posted a picture of along with the comment “I think I need to find some bigger people to train with. These are just way to small.”
Chael Sonnen has his reasons for wanting his fight with Wanderlei Silva moved from Las Vegas to Brazil.
They just might be hard to completely understand if you aren’t Chael P. Sonnen.
“He wanted to fight in Las Vegas because (that) is where he lives, his house is there,” said Sonnen, during a recent interview with Combate. “I denied. I wanted (the fight) to be in a neutral place. I’m a guest in Brazil, but so is he.
“The UFC thought I was kidding and I said no, I was not kidding. He abandoned these guys 15 years ago. Brazil is a neutral territory, we both are going to fly there.”
Sonnen’s claims are something he has stated several times in the past when trying to rile up Silva and other Brazilians. The two just completed filming in the country for The Ultimate Fighter, which airs beginning March 9 on UFC Fight Pass.
The planned meeting between Sonnen and Silva is scheduled for May 31 at UFC Fight Night: Brazil. Originally, the two were set to meet in the co-main event of UFC 173 on Memorial Day weekend in Las Vegas.