twitter google
mark hunt

Mark Hunt has decided to try and play the role of Joe Silva, telling everyone that a meeting with Josh Barnett makes the most sense for his next fight.

In fact, Hunt even has a date and location picked out: November 5 in Sydney, Australia.

Over the weekend, Hunt traveled to Japan and became the first fighter in the UFC to finish Roy Nelson, dropping “Big Country” in the second round. Now, “The Super Samoan” is hopeful for a meeting with Barnett.

The first time they squared off was in 2006 when Barnett defeated Hunt via submission in the quarterfinals of the PRIDE Open Weight Grand Prix.

“I love rematches,” said Hunt, during an interview on The MMA Hour. “I’ve never lost a rematch. Josh Barnett, me and you my friend, we’ve got a date. I want to fight guys in the Top-10. I’d like to fight and get close to that title shot, that’s all I’m interested in.

“(That’s) my whole purpose…to fight for the title.”

Hunt, who turned 40 earlier this year, appeared on his way out of the UFC after a loss to Sean McCorkle in 2010 dropped him to 5-7 overall. He’s since won five of seven, losing only to Junior dos Santos and fighting Antonio Silva to a draw.

“I think I’m on the cusp of getting a title shot, I just need a Top-5 guy,” he said. “I had the shot last time against JDS and he knocked me out. I got back there again, I just need one more fight. I really feel I’m close to a title shot.

“Maybe a Top-5 guy, or a JDA rematch, or Barnett; someone Top-5 and then if I can win, I can get a title shot.”

wanderlei silva

Former enemies inside the Octagon, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has nothing but respect for Wanderlei Silva outside of it.

Silva recently sent out a video message detailing his issues with the UFC and all the hoopla surrounding his decision to not take a drug test earlier this year. In the lengthy video, “The Axe Murderer” says he has no desire to compete anymore.

Jackson, who left the UFC and signed with Bellator, showed his support for Silva on Twitter with a picture message and the caption “Even tho we were enemies in the ring..I was your fan 1st. I’m with u, and I’m going threw the same pain.”

Jackson later added a second post, writing “We the fighters are Alpha of this planet. Even tho we fight each other, we are the same breed and we should stand together.”

Here’s the video message Silva posted last week concerning his decision to retire:

wwe

WrestleNewz, our sister site covering pro wrestling, will have complete coverage of tonight’s “Night of Champions” event that airs on WWE Network.

Set for the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee, this marks the eighth annual event that features all the WWE titles on the line. It also marks the debut of the new heavyweight championship belt, as Brock Lesnar defends against John Cena.

Other planned matches include Sheamus vs. Cesaro for the United State title, Dolph Ziggler defending his Intercontinental title against The Miz and a triple threat battle between Paige, AJ Lee and Nikki Bella for the Diva championship.

Other bouts include Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton and Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins.

Check out WrestleNewz for all your pro wrestling news and information, including live results of the pay-per-view. The event begins at 7 p.m. ET with a special kickoff show, while the PPV starts at 8 p.m. ET. Check out an all access look at things in the video below:

Tito Ortiz

Former UFC champion Tito Ortiz took a swipe at both his future opponent and Major League Baseball with one swift reply on Twitter recently.

After Stephan Bonnar posted a picture of himself just moments before throwing out the first pitch at a San Diego Padres game, Ortiz responded.

“With Justin McCully about to throw out the first pitch at Padres (game),” Bonnar wrote. “Got my middle finger fastball 4 Tito Ortiz.”

Ortiz responded, saying, “you got the gimp (McCully) to carry your bags. Good gimp. I thought steroids were banned in baseball.”

The two UFC Hall of Fame fighters will meet at Bellator 131 in November in the main event.

ufc on fox 13

Heavyweights Alistair Overeem and Stefan Struve will collide to close out 2014, as the pair are set to meet at UFC on FOX 13, officials confirmed late Wednesday night.

The card takes place December 13 from Phoenix and the U.S. Airways Center. It marks the first trip by the promotion to Phoenix. The only other bout announced to date is Jamie Varner vs. Drew Dober.

Overeem (37-14) has lost three of his last four inside the Octagon, including a recent knockout loss to Ben Rothwell. The former Strikeforce champion fell to 11th in the latest UFC rankings following the defeat.

“The Reem” defeated former UFC champion Frank Mir earlier this year after losses to both Travis Browne and Antonio Silva – both of which came via finish.

Struve (25-6) was set to make his return after a year away due to heart complications against Matt Mitrione this past July. However, just moments before the main card was set to start, Struve nearly fainted and officials scrapped the bout. “The Skyscraper” has posted a 9-4 overall UFC mark and is No. 14 overall.

Below is the current fight card for the night:

Heavyweight: Stefan Struve vs. Alistair Overeem

Lightweight: Jamie Varner vs. Drew Dober

Page 9 of 2,9691...7891011...203040...2,969

Follow Fightlinker

Archives