Strikeforce still isn’t officially dead, but I think we can all agree it’s nearing Terri Schiavo levels of being alive. Its one final spasm shall be on January 12th, and the supercard (relative term) Scott Coker promised us is coming together:
- Gilbert Melendez vs. Pat Healy – for lightweight title
- Luke Rockhold vs. Lorenz Larkin – for middleweight title
- Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine – for welterweight title
- Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring
- Ryan Couture vs. K.J. Noons
Now that the UFC / SF merge is all but certain, fighting on this card goes from being an honor to the last hurdle for several fighters trying to make it into the UFC. With the UFC roster the way it is, simple math dictates they can’t just take in all 75+ fighters. The undercard should be extremely interesting for this reason – it’ll probably be a bunch of guys fighting for continued employment. Will Josh Barnett even get a chance?