Like the brave soldier willing to throw himself on a grenade to save his comrades, Frank Mir has hurled himself into Strikeforce to save us from Tim Sylva. That’s how I see the news that Frank will be Daniel Cormier’s ‘reward fight’ for winning the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix. Here’s Big Tim talking about how close he was to boring us all to death again:
“I knew that we were in contract negotiations,” Sylvia said of a previously reported deal to fight Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix champ at an event planned for Sept. 29 at Power Balance Pavilion in Sacramento, Calif. “They asked if I would fight Daniel Cormier. Monte asked if I wanted that fight, and I said absolutely. He says, ‘I’m going to try and work a deal to where you fight him and then after the fight, win, lose or draw, you get to fight in the UFC.’ I said, ‘That’s great. That’s what we wanted.’”
“(Cox) was in contract negotiations, we agreed to it, and it was all going to happen,” he said. “I just the thought (was) that he was saying that because they wanted to release it; he didn’t want the press to get the leak beforehand.”
“So we just assumed that they had talked to both sides, ours and Frank Mir,” Sylvia said. “And when Frank probably agreed to it they just understood that would be a better fight or look better for [Cormier], or even the UFC. I don’t know. I’m just really disappointed in this whole thing, to be honest with you.”
To be honest with you, I’m not. Remember how you felt after that Clay Guida / Gray Maynard dance-off? Or the Cheick Kongo / Shawn Jordan clinchfest? Well, I’ve been through several too many of those with Timmy. UFC 61. UFC 65. UFC 77. I’d let a chick in high heels step on my balls before watching those again. While he’s had some success finishing cans lately, his last big fight against Andreas Kraniotakes shows that he’s more than willing to suck up a main event to play it safe.
So thank you, Frank Mir, for stepping in and stopping Zuffa from making a terrible mistake.